Built 1880-1881, Akin Hall was designed by Albert J. Akin to serve not only as a house of worship, but as a community and cultural gathering place as well. As a result, it was never formally consecrated, and the religious services were non-denominational. Akin further stipulated that at no point could collections be taken up during services; instead, a small discrete box by the door served to gather any donations.
Originally built just north of where the Akin Free Library currently stands, it was moved to the site of the Mizzen Top Hotel after the latter was demolished in 1936. It was subsequently remodeled, and is currently known as Christ Church. For more information on the Akin Hall and its history, see the Akin Hall Association page.